Thursday, December 31, 2009

I want to leave home but have a flat under my name?

Resolved Question

I want to leave home but have a flat under my name?

I want to leave home because of my husband the problem is that I have 3 children.

My husband made me agree to put a flat under my name a few years back, so I'm afraid if I leave the council will not give me a council flat because of that.

The problem is I do not have any doccuments for the flat as my husband takes care of that, so I'm stuck , even If I was able to get them and sell the flat first my husband would find out before I co do anything and besides the flat is already being rented out to someone.

The money from their rent goes directly back into the mortgage, again I have nothing to do with it, and I make no money from it. He just put it under my name.

I really want out so your advice would really make a difference to our future ,

Thanks

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

If the flat is under your name the council may suggest that you just get rid of the tenants and move in there, they may be able to offer help to pay the mortgage if you can't afford it though. The best thing would be to go to your bemefits office and ask, it will vary depending on how much money you earn etc but I doubt that if you own a property you will get a council house. If it is under your name you have the right to sell it or do what you want with it but if your husband is controlling that obviously may be difficult. If you ask what your council can do for you, just explain your situation.

There are currently no comments for this question.

Other Answers (3)

  • In the UK, the Citizens Advice Bureau is definitely the place to go - both for advice on your finances and domestic issues. You will need to make an appointment with an adviser and you should take whatever documentation you may be able to get hold of. This would include bank statements if possible. They deal with a wide variety of problems in confidence and will be able to help you, I'm sure.
  • If you can afford it see a solicitor, but you don't say if you have approached your husband on the subject of separation. If you are afraid to do this because you fear he could become abusive or violent, then you could go to a women's refuge which you can contact through the CAB if you are in the UK, and they will help you sort out your problems without fear of repercussion from your husband
  • I strongly recommend that you speak to your local Citizens Advice Bureau. They are excellent and will be able to advise you.
    Good Luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogroll

Site Info

Text

Personal Finance Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template