Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Have you had problems with Western Union?

Resolved Question

Have you had problems with Western Union?

I wanted to send money (£160) from Switzerland to England. The receiver's address was on an e-mail. The woman at the desk warned me (I'm a little old lady) that I should be careful when sending money requested by e-mail. OK, fair enough, but I said it's my money and it's my risk. She refused to make the transaction.
This is not the first time I've had problems with Western Union in Switzerland. Since it is probably the most expensive method of sending money in the world, I would normally avoid it, but sometimes it is the quickest way.
A friend, who went abroad before his salary had arrived gave me power of attorney to withdraw money from his account and asked me to send it to him via Western Union. I was asked if it was 'my' money and I truthfully answered, 'No. It's his.' On this occasion they also refused to send it. The next day I asked a friend to send it, warning her to say, 'Yes, it's my money.' No problem.
On another occasion a Turkish friend wanted to send money to his wife in South America. Western Union refused to do the transaction (about Swiss Frs. 1000). I said, 'OK, then I'll send it.'
'We can't do that.' 'Why not? The money is in my handbag, not in his wallet.' After a long and somewhat heated discussion, they agreed that I could send the money.
Is this a Swiss problem or is it a general Western Union problem?

Additional Details

I am well aware of the risk. My point was that it was my money and I was prepared to take the risk.

4 days ago

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

Yes, I have had problems with Western Union but not the same as yours. Someone else, not the intended recipient, collected the money and I suspected the number code may have been advised via Western Union itself. I wanted to know who collected it, and what ID they presented (preferably with a photocopy) but they refused to assist in any way, saying these details were protected by Data legislation. I have never used their service since.

There are currently no comments for this question.

Other Answers (2)

  • Western Union is often the method of payment scammers request, perhaps they are being cautious.
  • I have a piece of land called the Pacific Ocean I'd like to sell you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogroll

Site Info

Text

Personal Finance Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template