Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Can I stop a credit card company taking money out of my account?

Resolved Question

Can I stop a credit card company taking money out of my account?

They had my account details to take a one off payment out but they are now taking it out every month as I am in arrears. Can I inform my bank not to allow this to happen. I would prefer to send a cheque because I am scared they will take more out then I have agreed to. (UK)

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

Yes you can stop the payments, simply ring your bank and ask them to stop the direct debit payments from the next payment due. Once the bank has stopped the payment the credit card company won't be able to access your bank account. Inform the credit card company that you wish to pay by cheque from now on.

There are currently no comments for this question.

Other Answers (3)

  • In the US this would mean that credit card company wrote off debt to a collection agent and is now is taking bank account deductions. No you can not stop them. You can keep the balance to zero and deal with cash and cashiers checks to pay your bills.
  • yes just tell your bank to stop your direct debits or it the are taking money from your card like a transaction. Order a new card
  • Don't maintain any balance in to your bank account which is linked to the credit card.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogroll

Site Info

Text

Personal Finance Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template